If you wish to improve your smile with additional health care treatments, chewing gum may be able to help. In some instances, it can help create a surplus of saliva, which is the mouth’s natural defense mechanism against harmful acids and bacteria. It’s never too late to consider what sugarless gum can do for you, in fact, you may be surprised to learn the following:
– Speak with your dentist about approved chewing gum products, or look for the American Dental Association’s Seal of Acceptance on products.
– The reason sugarless gum has been proven to be so helpful is that it stimulates saliva flow in the mouth. Saliva helps wash away food particles and bacteria and can be used to nullify acids in the mouth.
– Do not use chewing gum if you are suffering from any tooth or jaw pain, including bruxism and temporomandibular ailments.
– Chewing sugarless gum after meals has been clinically confirmed to help prevent cavities.
– It is important that the chewing gum you choose is sugarless because traditional gum contains sugars that will just cancel out any positive attributes the gum can provide.
– Sugarless gum is also used for addressing various health conditions, including for the prevention and treatment of heartburn.
To learn more about chewing gum and other alternative cleaning tools, contact Dr. Taylor Robinson and our team at Robinson Wolfgramm Dental by calling us at 801-373-2060. If you would like an oral exam or bi-annual professional cleaning, our dentist office is located in Provo, Utah.